Monday, December 3, 2012

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

In 1999, I got my first full time job... with benefits.  It was a proud moment. And even better, it was at Disney at their flagship hotel. The weird part was that it was the graveyard shift at the front desk. Four nights a week, I worked from 10 pm to 8 am. I've probably been in all the suites at one time or another and I used to be able to tell you the view from the balcony of your room number. One of the best "perks" of the job was all the over -the-top weddings and celebrity sightings. In the year that I worked there I was  yelled at by Terry Bradshaw (his key wouldn't work in the door), let a locked-out  bathrobe-clad Diana Ross back into her room, Kicked Justin Timberline's little Chihuahua out of the his suite (that dog barked all night.) Saw Wynonna Judd, Bill Gates and Sarah Ferguson from across the lobby. I almost called security on Lorenzo Lamas  because I thought he was a vagrant.

The exterior of the hotel is modeled off the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. The interior is purely Victorian. It is the only place on property to get a traditional English tea at the Garden View Tea Room. It also has the only 7 course gourmet white glove restaurant on property-- Victoria & Albert.  Yes, I have eaten at both those places. The white glove meal coast about $140 per person but that was 8 years ago and I think we had a cast discount. It was totally worth it. There are also five other restaurants: Gasperillas Grill, The Grand Floridian Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, Citricos and Narcossees.

I think The Grand offers some of the better "free" lobby entertainment with a house orchestra  and pianist  who play from 5 pm to 10 pm every night. And if you can find a couch, a server from the lounge will take your drink order.

In 1999, during that Christmas season, the lobby also hosted local choirs, hand bell orchestra, roasted chestnuts and one of the biggest lobby Christmas trees that is on Disney Property.




Oh, and a large gingerbread house that sells cookies and drinks out of the windows.




The Grand is attached to the Polynesian Resort via a walkway that passes by the Wedding Pavilion and  the new Alice in Wonderland children water playground. I used to love to walk that sidewalk at night, it was a quiet walk with a nice view of Cinderella's Castle.

I could go on and on about the Grand Floridan, but there really is a lot to write about it and a lot to discover. Perhaps, I'll go a "Part two" someday.

1 comment:

  1. Disney World's Grand Floridian Resort is looking amazing.The interior is purely Victorian.I really love your post thanks for sharing with us.



    By
    Aldrich Mendal
    Floridrida villas


    ReplyDelete